Saturday, August 3, 2013

Malaysia



The Twin Towers in downtown Kuala Lumpur
 Courtesy to my expiring Thai visa, I got to take a little trip to Malaysia. Down town Kuala Lumpur is the closest I have felt to being in Seattle since I have been in Asia! It has the hustle and bustle of businessmen and woman, skyscrapers and office buildings, and my favorite part… incredible amounts of malls and shopping! Or maybe it is just because I am sitting downtown at a Starbucks? Regardless all  of it and the Papa Johns pizza I found made me feel very at home.
              

When I arrived in Kuala Lumpur my only plans were to take care of my visa, other than that I didn’t even know much about the city. I decided to hop on the monorail, I picked a random place to get off and find something to eat. I walk down the stairs and what do I find? An H&M, Forever 21, Victoria Secret, etc! I was dropped right into the middle of shopper’s paradise, and I was all smiles. Downtown has so many different malls and shopping centers, I swear every time I walked around the corner I found another one. Anyways it was very easy to keep myself busy.

So far the visa process has been pretty painless. Ahead of time I had all of the documents prepared and ready to go. On many websites I read about getting to the embassy before it opened at 9:30. There I was at 7:30am sitting on the side of the road anticipating the gates to open. Luckily I had my laptop to entertain myself. I realized that I had a movie in my computer, Marley and Me. Yes I sat on the side of the road sobbing as I watched and other people stared. I’m sure they thought I was having some form of mental break down, but I dare you to watch that movie without crying! At about 8:45 I decided to clip together all of my documents, when I realize I cannot find an envelope with a few things inside I need. I frantically dump out my entire backpack, to then remember I took it out last night and it is on my bed. I then lose my first place in line and hop in a taxi, that I literally have to beg to take me back and forth. Long story short, I made it and have applied for my visa. Never a dull moment J


Things I learned while in Malaysia:

      -       Seeing a movie alone is not nearly as bad as I thought it was. Although I think about it now and it may be an all-time low for my social life. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and didn’t feel uncomfortable sitting alone. Worst part was not being able to talk about the movie afterwards.
      -       Taxi drivers like to rip you off. I got scammed out of some money and was so frustrated. Him screaming at me, me yelling back, resulting in him flipping me off and driving away. Yes I still lost the money, but I think I got under his skin just enough. Ashley-1 Psycho taxi driver-0
      -       People are weird. No this is not new news, but after traveling throughout Asia you realize how true this is for every culture.
      -       I am not as directionally challenged as I thought. I can proudly say that I have mastered the Malaysian monorails.

      -       Going to the embassies to renew your visa is quite similar to going to the DMV. Everybody is grumpy, nobody wants to be there, and the workers can simply decide whether or not they will make your day or absolutely ruin it.

((This took place at the beginning of June. It was just about a month after I had returned from my backpacking trip)