Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December, wait what?!



Happy December ladies and gents! I can't be the only one totally weirded out that it is almost Christmas time, right? Here in Thailand, it pretty much seems the opposite of Christmas season. Not that our holiday spirit is at a low, but it is so hot out! Since all of the volunteers will be missing Christmas this year with our families, it is nice to feel like we have a home away from home. We are all in the same boat, so we have tried to incorporate the holidays as much as possible! Ten of our students along with a few volunteers recently sang at the Le Meridien hotel in Khao Lak. The students worked so hard over the last month and learned the lyrics to Jingle Bells, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Clause Is Coming To Town. Riley and I came to enjoy the show and were absolutely impressed. Of course we couldn't help get our picture taken with Thai Santa either. I also forgot to mention that the Le Meridien was absolutely gorgeous! It was right on the beach, the pool was so inviting, and everything we saw looked great. If you ever need a place to stay in Khao Lak, I would totally look into it!

The Yaowawit kids caroling at the Christmas tree lighting.
Our Santa picture this year, haha :)
As I mentioned above we have had some excellent weather lately. This has allowed for us to have quite a few beach days, and a trip to the waterfall. When I first got to Thailand Anna, Lan, Robbie and Seeba brought me to Memories beach. Anna and I returned almost every weekend and made friends with some of the workers. Anna you will be happy to know they remember us! After being closed all rainy season, I went back with Riley and Insa for the first time of the season. It was everything I remembered it to be! Being the beach bums we love to be, I think it is safe to say Memories beach will be our number one beach hang out for our time here.

Beach sunset in Khao Lak
On Tuesday, we had the day off of school for Teacher's day! So Insa, Riley and I decided to celebrate our teacher-ness and go on a hike to a nearby waterfall. I had been there once before when Chrissy and the Linfield boys were here, but I had not been back since. Since I was the only person that had been there before, I was in charge of directions and getting us there. Being the directionally challenged person I am, I was a little nervous but it all worked out! We had lots of fun, and the water was refreshing aka freezing, which is a nice change of pace for Thailand.























And lastly, the grade three kids acting as a transport system to their friend who had just had some teeth pulled at the dentist. They were cracking me up!