Monday, January 21, 2013

One week down, MANY to come!

These buildings are the dorms and classrooms here at Yaowawit

Well I have made it through week one of many! Of course, like anything it had its number of ups and a few downs. My first few days I was a bit of a homesick Helen as I have chosen to call it. The reality of one week down, 14 months and 3 weeks to go can be a bit daunting. At first I was struggling to get used to things such as the time difference, not being able to get ahold of my friends any moment of the day, and of course the adjustment of living in a new place. Luckily I have already met some of the most wonderful people! I have already gotten to go to the beach several times and even go surfing. I suppose I should clarify when I say surfing, I really mean recklessly standing on one leg attempting to balance on the surfboard.
My friend Anna and I on a motor-bike, these nerd glasses are our bug shields!

In this past week I also had four days of school! Words cannot describe how incredible these children are. Even with a language barrier at times you can feel the love and kindness from these kids. Since I was able to move to Thailand in January, I am able to learn and observe from one of my friends and the current head English teacher Kru. Lan! Since Ashley is quite a difficult name to say by the students we tried Kru. Ash… that was also a little difficult. So I am proud to introduce myself as Kru. A! For you Pretty Little Liars fans, no I am not turning into a crazy or do I have any mischief up my sleeve! Regardless my first week in the classroom could not have gone better and I am so close to knowing all 120+ names!
Meet Bas (Boss), guaranteed to make you laugh and
keep you on your toes!
 Never would I have imagined that I could be okay with bugs in my room, geckos in my shower or hearing roosters outside of my window haha! Strangely enough it has not been as hard to deal with as I thought! Of course I still panic every once in a while, let out a random scream or go running out of a room but hey… you can only ask for so much progress in a week.