Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Amazing Race



Since you are reading my blog I would assume that you know that I am about to begin teaching in Thailand! The last few weeks have been long to say the least. Between the countless number of good byes or I should say see ya laters, the excitement, the nerves, packing, and the anticipation of actually being in Thailand… I am exhausted. Exhausted yet here I am, three am Thai time because my mind is to all over the place to sleep. I sit here in my bedroom at least I think, a room with two beds, no sheets, no closet or dresser, but thankfully a fan on the ceiling. Currently I am unaware of where the bathroom is or available Internet to tell my mom I am here, SORRY MOM!

Yesterday I left Seattle, around 1:45pm my flight was delayed but at this point, I figured I still had over an hour layover in Beijing. MY first flight was loooooong, and I only slept for about an hour. Thankfully I am totally into cheesy movies so the in-flight entertainment kept me busy. As we were landing in Beijing the flight attendants warned us that they would be taking our temperature at the customs desk to see if we need to be quarantined…WHAT?! My stress level went through the roof because of course I have a cold right now. I also am officially scared to go to China if they can quarantine you in the airport, for some reason I was picturing The Hunger Games when they take your blood. Anyways I swear it took 40 minutes for us to get off the flight, and my window of time between flights is dwindling quickly.  As soon as I get off the plane, we are walking through what seems like a maze made of plexi-glass walls and at the end is a woman yelling for people who are traveling to Phuket. As I go over to her she grabs my arm and begins running with me, let me tell you… this woman was quick and she was in heels! Thankfully there were four other girls in the same boat as I was, and they were holding the plane for us. We went through a modified security and had to enter our flight gate through a carpet store! Through the carpet store, down a giant set of stairs, and all the way across a terminal with a man yelling for us to hurry. Um, hello! I am running and sweating with 3 bags! It felt like I was running towards the finale on The Amazing Race with Phil (Amazing Race Host) waiting for me on the red and yellow mat!

Regardless we made it on the plane. I slept the majority of the flight from Beijing to Phuket and woke up with 30 minutes to go, now how’s that for timing! Getting of the flight was scary because at this point I had no idea who I was looking for to pick me up, I couldn’t find my luggage tags, and there was officially no turning back. So like I said I’m sitting in a room I think is my bedroom without a clue of where to go when I wake up. Let the adventure begin!

PS: It might be late by the time you see this but HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA, I LOVE YOU!